Prepping for passage...

Once I make final payment on the boat and have the title signed over, she will need to be moved to her new home.  The previous owner has agreed to accompany me on this repositioning cruise for which I am most grateful; going through the Ballard Locks single-handed is not something I want to attempt until I’m thoroughly familiar with the boat.  It will be a long day...we’ll have about 12 hours of daylight and will need every bit of it!  Here is a nav planning document I put together for the passage:

Everett-Lake Washington passage planner



Aside from getting through the locks, and making sure we have enough gas onboard to motor the entire distance (because you just know the wind will be in our face the whole way!), the other big issue (in a sailboat) is getting under all the bridges in the ship canal and Lake Washington; it’s imperative to know the height of the mast above the waterline.  Now, one can easily google this number, but do you really want to risk the possible destruction of your mast and standing rigging by relying on the accuracy of the internet?....not me!  

So, to verify the number I found online, I attached a heavy shackle to the main halyard and attached a retrieval line to the same shackle, then lowered the shackle down until it touched the water.  I marked the halyard at a known point on deck, then hoisted the shackle upward until is reached the top of the mast and again marked the halyard at the same known point.  Lastly, I pulled the shackle (and halyard) back down using the retrieval line and measured the distance between the two marks on the halyard...32 feet...about what I expected.  Giving a generous allowance for the VHF antenna (3 feet) that’s mounted atop the mast, I will use a clearance height of 35 feet.  This means the only bridge we will not be able to pass under safely is the Fremont Bridge, so we’ll have to signal the bridge-master to open it as we approach.  You do this by blowing one long blast and one short blast using your airhorn; calling on VHF channel 13 is also an option, but they prefer the audio signal.  

Here is a great discussion of the bridges encountered along the ship canal:  ship canal bridges



For a discussion of transiting the Ballard Locks, click here

I also filled the fuel tank with new unleaded gas, inspected all the standing and running rigging and made sure the engine starts using both the electric starter and manual pull start, bought a tool kit & a new fuel filter, prepped the 50’ dock lines and fenders for lock transit, inspected the batteries (a couple loose terminal connections, now tight), stored snacks and drinks for the day in the galley, and secured everything inside the cabin.

Here’s hoping the winds and weather cooperate on the appointed day!

Historical postscript:  I took possession of the boat the day the governor locked down the state due to COVID-19.