Our first date...

Today I felt confident enough with the engine, rigging and sails to take her out for a short single-handed cruise.  To get to this point, I’ve been fixing a number of niggling annoyances that I’ve noted as I’ve gotten to know her.  The main halyard was binding and not traveling freely and I discovered that it and the jib halyard were crossed near the top of mast.  After lowering the foresail I was able to uncross the halyards and re-raise the genoa.  I also replaced the block at the base of the mast to reduce friction; this should allow me to raise the mainsail from the safety of the cockpit.

The installation manual for the furling unit recommended 1/4” braided rope for the furling line.  Having this line break can cause chaos since the foresail will deploy whether you want it to or not.  Should this happen while you’re away from the boat with high winds, the foresail will unfurl and most likely tear itself to shreds, hopefully before your docklines or deck cleats fail and the boat becomes a loose bucking bronco. If it occurs while you’re out sailing single-handed, you will have to leave the helm, crawl your way forward and lower a violently flapping sail. Who knew such a small line could create such havoc?!  The current furling line was something less than 1/4” and of indeterminate age, so I bought some new 5/16” diameter double-braided rope and replaced the furling line.  I also adjusted the stanchion line guides to reduce friction and allow easier furling.  It’s hard to see the difference, but here’s a picture of the old (blue) furling line and the new (yellow) replacement line.



My first single-handed sail was quite enjoyable.  Everything worked as expected and a good bit of wind, gusty at times, allowed me to unfurl the genoa and see how she sailed with just the foresail; surprising well with a balanced helm!  Sailing without the mainsail she does over 4 knots...a very nice day!